SJCA understands that the skills and habits developed in middle school are not only indicators of high school achievement, but also directly impact college success. Thus, the SJCA Middle School focuses not just on the academic skills necessary for future success, but also on the specific habits that lead to independent, purposeful learning.
Middle school is an exciting time at SJCA, with new challenges and opportunities. Students begin to take responsibility for their educational experiences. Most importantly, middle school is a gateway, creating the habits that will lead our students toward high school and college success.
In our nurturing middle school environment, subjects become departmentalized and students move from class to class. Small class sizes ease the transition from elementary school. As the workload increases gradually from 6th to 8th grade, our students begin to take responsibility for their educational experiences.
SJCA middle school students:
- Benefit from our sequential curriculum aligned with SJCA High School.
- Learn time-management skills and independent study habits.
- Experiment in our science labs.
- Write and publish essays, poetry and novels.
- Explore college and career opportunities through Naviance.
- Receive individualized academic support.
- Earn high school placement for foreign language and math classes taken.
- Develop a depth and breadth of technology skills through our 1-to-1 laptop program.
- Enjoy a myriad of opportunities from band to ski club, student government to athletics.
- Participate in our unique and innovative J-Term.
SCHEDULE CHANGE FOR THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR
As we strive to meet the ever-changing needs of 21st century learners, as well as continually work toward improvement of the SJCA educational experience, the Leadership Team is pleased to announce some important changes to the middle school schedule to take effect for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The change in the middle school schedule will provide an experience that supports more time for engaging electives, as well as year-round physical education and music classes. Specific time is also scheduled for participation in clubs, groups and leadership opportunities. We have worked hard to put this new schedule into place, and are very excited to share the details with you.
If you have a child who will be entering the SJCA Middle School, or returning for 7th or 8th grade year, please join us for a short meeting during Upper Campus Parent Teacher Conferences. Meetings are scheduled for 4:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 15th, and 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 16th. We look forward to seeing you then.
School hours for the 2016-17 school year are 7:50 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Wednesday hours are 7:50 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.